What's known as SR-22 insurance really isn't insurance. The SR-22 is a form that helps Minnesota verify that certain high risk drivers are going to be driving while financially responsible. Once the SR-22 form is filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and your own insurance company, you're legal to drive.
Minnesota SR-22 Forms
Not all SR-22 forms are the same. Minnesota uses three different SR-22 forms, depending on the driver's circumstances. Those are:
- An Operator's Certificate for drivers who don't own a motor vehicle
- An Owner's Certificate for drivers who own their vehicle
- An Operators-Owners Certificate for drivers who own more than one vehicle
When am I Required to Have SR-22 Verification?
Although Minnesota doesn't require SR-22 verification if you're coming off of a DUI, it does require the form to be filed if:
- You're coming off of a financial responsibility suspension
- There are any unsatisfied judgments against you involving accidents you were uninsured in
- If you're reinstating after a revocation
- When there is mandatory insurance supervision
- If you've been convicted more than three times for violations of mandatory insurance laws
How Does the SR-22 Get Filed?
The law doesn't allow you to file your own completed SR-22 form, but it allows us here at Value Plus to do it for you since we're a state licensed insurance agency. We'll be verifying that you now have insurance coverage that's in full compliance with Minnesota's mandatory insurance statutes. Our state offers some of the best mandatory protection in the country. Minimum coverage and limits in Minnesota are:
- $30,000 for any one person who is injured in an accident
- $60,000 of maximum coverage for two or more persons who are injured in an accident
- $10,000 for any property that you damage in an accident
- $25,000 per person and $50,000 for two or more persons injured by an uninsured or underinsured driver
- $40,000 of personal injury protection regardless of liability.
How Do I Get Rid of the SR-22 Requirement?
You'll have have to live with the SR-22 requirement for three years. How do you get rid of it after that? It's easy. Drive responsibly, and remain financially responsible during that period, and the requirement will likely be lifted.
Value Plus Insurance serves the Twin Cities and all of Minnesota. Call us for professional advice on SR-22 requirements or quotes on your auto insurance at 952-435-0550. Our service is highly personalized and professional. We'll shop your insurance for you, file your SR-22, and get you on the road right away.