Minnesota has the best mandatory insurance laws in the country, but like similar laws in other states, minimum coverage  just isn't enough.   Before you can even register a car in Minnesota, you're required to provide the name of your insurance company along with your policy number.  The declarations page of your policy will then have to show that you're insured for the following:


No-Fault (PIP) Coverage

Otherwise known as personal injury protection (PIP), no-fault  pays for your medical bills whether you were at fault in an accident  or not.  This coverage even extends to family members who are residents of your household.  Minimum no-fault coverage allowed in Minnesota is $20,000 for medical bills and  $20,000 for lost earnings.  You're even covered by your no-fault coverage if you're injured as a passenger in a car owned by somebody else.


Liability Coverage

This covers you for bodily injury and property damage when an accident occurs, and you are found to be at fault.  Minimum liability insurance in Minnesota is required to be in the amount of:

  • $30,000 for bodily injury or the death of one person
  • $60,000 total for bodily injuries or deaths per occurrence
  • $10,000 for property damage

If you cause an accident, the other driver's PIP is triggered.  Your liability insurance will cover anything beyond the other driver's PIP.


Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance (UM/UIM

Minnesota is one of a handful of states in the country that also requires drivers to carry uninsured and underinsured motorist insurance (UM/UIM).  If you're in an accident due to the fault of an uninsured motorist, your UM coverage can help you pay for your medical expenses after your PIP coverage is exhausted.  If the motorist is underinsured,  your UIM coverage will help you pay your medical expenses after both your PIP and the liability coverage of the underinsured driver who caused the accident are exhausted.  Minimum permissible limits for UM/UIM coverage are $25,000 per person and $50,000 for total injuries per occurrence.


None of this mandatory coverage operates to repair or replace your car.  You must look to the other guy for that.  If he's uninsured, you're out of luck.  If your car is financed, your lender will likely require you to carry collision and comprehensive coverage to protect against that and other risks too.


We insure drivers throughout the Twin Cities and across Minnesota.  Call Value Plus at 952-435-0550.  We'll get you on the road or expand your coverage with whatever insurance you want.