As a parent, you’ve worked hard to raise a strong, independent young person. With the pomp and circumstance of graduation, it all pays off. For moms and dads, there’s no prouder moment than watching all of their young person’s hard work culminate as she walks across the stage in her cap and gown. And with graduation behind her, it’s time for a new adventure: college.


As your new college student gets ready to set out on the adventure of a lifetime, you want to do everything you can to protect her. That’s why our team of personal insurance agents at Value Plus Insurance has put together this post to share how renter’s insurance can help protect your child at college.


Embarking on a New Adventure

When your young graduate takes off for college, he or she is most likely going to be living away from home for the first time. Generally, most college students choose to live either off-campus in an apartment or in a dormitory on campus. No matter where your young person lives, before they open any books, they’ll be unpacking and putting away their belongings.


As you head home and wish them well, you’ll want to know their personal property is protected. If anything should happen to your student’s laptop, tablet, or other personal property, it’s important to make sure these items can be replaced. After all, it’s incredibly difficult to get through even a week of college without the right technology.


Does My Student Need Renter’s Insurance?

Before your student’s semester begins, find out if he or she can benefit from renter’s insurance. For some students who are living in campus housing or dormitories, their parent’s home insurance may actually cover their personal property while they’re away at school.


If you’re not certain if your student is covered while away at school, check with your insurance policy to find out. Even if your student is covered, you’ll need to find out about the coverage limits of your policy. In many cases, even when personal property is covered, it may be very limited in terms of what is covered outside of your home.


Your policy may also limit coverage on items like these:

●        Jewelry

●        Electronics

●        Musical instruments


Renter’s Insurance For Your Off-Campus Student

If your student plans to live off-campus in a home or apartment, renter’s insurance is a must. When your student is covered by renter’s insurance, it can help to repair covered damaged items and replace those that are lost or stolen. Renter’s insurance can also include liability coverage.


That means if your student is found liable for an accident that occurs in his or her house or apartment, it may be covered. As with your homeowner’s insurance, it’s important to understand the policy and explain it to your student. You’ll also want to help her create a home inventory in case she needs to file a claim in the future.


Protect Your College Student with Personal Insurance

Going away to college for the first time is one of the most exciting adventures a young person can experience. As a parent, you can end up worried. One way to ease your mind is by making sure your student is protected by personal insurance policies while he or she is away at school.


Our Value Plus Insurance team will work with you to help you choose a renter’s insurance policy that is right for you and your young adult. We can also help you with an insurance policy and a supplemental health insurance plan. Connect with one of our personal insurance agents by calling us at 952-435-0550, or contact us to learn more about our policies.